Language, Information and Computation (PACLIC 32)
PACLIC Steering Committee (http://www.decode.waseda.ac.jp/paclic-steering)
Standing members (in alphabetical order of last names)
- Chu-Ren Huang, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong
- Jong-Bok Kim, Kyung Hee University, Seoul
- Rachel Edita O. Roxas, National University, Manila
- Maosong Sun, Tsinghua University, Beijing
- Benjamin T'sou, City University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
- Kei Yoshimoto, Tohoku University, Sendai
- Min Zhang, Soochow University, Suzhou
Department of Chinese and Bilingual Studies, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
The Department of Chinese and Bilingual Studies (CBS), formerly known as the Department of Chinese, Translation and Interpretation, was established in 1988. Our department is one of the leading academic departments in Asia that studies Chinese and its interaction with English. It addresses real life language issues in a bilingual society. As a department with two undergraduate programmes, nine taught postgraduate programme, and a programme for MPhil and PhD students, CBS has worked hard to become an innovative pioneer in establishing academic programmes that are underpinned by our research and which fulfill the demands of society. We established the first MA in Teaching Chinese as a Foreign Language in Hong Kong as well as the first Master of Speech Therapy in Hong Kong.
As an active, research-oriented department, CBS has been strong in the research areas of bilingual communication, Chinese language education, Chinese language testing, language disorder, language technology, linguistics and translation.
As a responsible member of the community, CBS constantly provides services to the people of Hong Kong, especially to those in need. For example, we have special programmes that help South Asian school children in Hong Kong to learn Chinese, we offer Chinese and Putonghua tests for local primary and secondary school students, and we provide therapy services to children with communication disorders or learning deficiencies.
CBS has five professional units. Each unit has its unique expertise and functions to support one or more of the department’s research focuses and strengths.
- Centre for Translation Studies
- Chinese Language Centre (CLC)
- The Hong Kong Chapter Corporate Communication International
- The HK PolyU-PekingU Research Centre on Chinese Linguistics
- Speech Therapy Unit (STU)
- To offer high quality programmes that produce graduates with international vision and advanced biliterate and multilingual skills;
- To conduct applied research that contributes to the study of Chinese in a bilingual context as well as bilingualism in a Chinese context, incorporating modern views and methods in disciplines related to such study;
- To provide professional services to the community relevant to the needs of Hong Kong, the Chinese mainland and other countries through engagement in consultancy projects and other forms of service.
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University
Hung Hom, Kowloon