Tradition, Transition and Transcendence (2020EAST)
Home to the cradle of various ancient civilizations, East Asia boasts remarkable and seemingly inscrutable traditions of language, culture and thought. Long histories of translational activities in the region have testified to the diffusion of knowledge, the quest for transcendental truth, the bond of identities, the vie for power as well as the rise and fall of empires, facilitating diverse and complex interaction of literate cultures. Yet rationalization on translation has long remained fragmented and disproportionate. Modernity witnessed the disruption of venerable traditions by western imperialism and the consequential transition of age-old institutions in search of new paradigms, prompting the intensification and valorization of translation initiatives and the resultant counter-interpellative translation discourse. With the contemporary professionalization of translation and development of translation studies as an integrated interdiscipline, researchers are addressing new issues and challenges, including cutting-edge advances in translation technology, and re-examining old concerns utilizing hybrid models and perspectives, hoping to extend the role of East Asia in the development of the field and to transcend their local, regional, global and spiritual existence.
Abstract proposals for individual presentations and papers (to be presented on-site or online) are invited on any aspect
of the following themes in the East Asian context:
- 1. Translation/interpreting teaching and training;
- 2. Traditions of literary and/or classics translation;
- 3. Translation of media and popular culture;
- 4. The translation profession (qualified and amateur translators/interpreters; networks of collaboration);
- 5. Translation technology;
- 6. Translation publishing;
- 7. Cultural issues in translation;
- 8. Issues of identity in translation;
- 9. Post-colonial approaches to translation;
- 10. Others.
Selected papers (in English) from the conference will be published in Translation Quarterly in 2021/22 and in edited volume(s) by major publisher(s).